Thursday, October 9, 2008

You Pompous Windbag!

Today's word:

bloviate: (verb) to talk very pompously and at great length [blow-vee-ate]

Essentially, this is talking like a pompous windbag. I can see by the look on your face that you're thinking I bloviate. Well, when you say it like that, it doesn't sound like a very nice word, but anyway... I'm not long-winded (unless I'm writing). Pompous, maybe, but I don't think I've ever been accused of talking too much -- except in 2nd grade, but that's a story for another blog.

It seems kind of ironic to use the term bloviate, because we usually associate people who use an expatiated vocabulary with pompous windbags. So technically, using the word bloviate could earn you a reputation for bloviating. :)

(You may want to read that paragraph again, because it seems a bit ambiguous. Does it only make sense inside my head?)

I picture a know-it-all kind of guy (in my head, it has to be a man -- bloviating just doesn't seem like a feminine characteristic). The kind of guy who loves to hear himself talk and ALWAYS has to be right . . . regardless. Sounds like a couple of my brothers-in-law, actually. Proverbs would define a fool as one who bloviates -- they don't listen to anyone, and they LOVE to expatiate on their "knowledge" for all to hear.

A loquacious person I can handle. Heck, I married loquacious incarnate! But bloviating just grates on my very last nerve. There's just something about conceit I downright despise. Anybody besides me feel that way?

No comments: