Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Now It Just Sounds Like We're Making Stuff Up

Today's word:

frangible: (adjective) easily broken [fran-juh-bull]

Have you ever heard people say "edjamacated" when they are satirizing how well they were educated? Well, this word sounds like someone was doing that. I mean, really... if it means fragile and you are going to use a word that sounds like fragile, why not just say fragile!? Probably one day someone writing a thesaurus thought there weren't enough synonyms for the word fragile, so he or she just made one up. It's ridiculous.

Or maybe --

The original word WAS frangible, and some post office somewhere made a typo when ordering their HANDLE WITH CARE stamp, and it just caught on. Evolution of language is a crazy thing. You never know when a word will be so frangible, it can become obsolete because of poetic quality, spelling errors, or just sheer laziness.

3 comments:

Wife2Jason said...

I'm going to have to start writing all these words down on my palm, just to I can remember. And I want to keep saying FANG-jah-bull.... I wonder what that means. Hmmmm.

Leah said...

It means you are secretly a vampire... or not.

Wife2Jason said...

If you've read the Twilight series, like I have, then you'll know that that statement makes me happy!!! LOL