Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just Toss It Out the Window, Why Don't You?

Today's word:

defenestrate: (verb) to throw out the window [dee-fin-us-trait]

I just like this word. It's fun to say.

Every year when I'm doing my poetry unit, and we get to the invented language poem, someone (usually me, I'm not gonna lie) adds this word to the list of words we like the sound of. Plus -- you know -- sometimes I felt like defenestrating some of the students, so it all fits together somehow.

When I was little, one of my siblings defenestrated a push-up container (remember those?) while we were driving through town. A policeman pulled my mom over and cited her for littering. That was quite the experience.

Sometimes life is hard. The important thing is to hang in there and resist the temptation to defenestrate yourself. Remember, "This too shall pass."

No comments: